16 January 2011

NYE in NYC II: Anders Osborne @ Sullivan Hall



As the Pete's Candy Store superjam with Walri etal was winding down, we headed out and back up to Manhattan to catch the Anders Osborne late night set at Sullivan Hall. Nine times out of ten, my eyes are bigger than my stamina when I choose to extend my evenings out with a late night set on New Year's Eve. Doubling up on a normal night is one thing, but doing it on NYE when the "early" show is not getting out until well after midnight is quite a different beast. Generally, tire will get the best of me and I zombie out at the late show. But this year I actually gained energy the later it got, and I will tell you why. Anders Osborne is why. His guitar slapped me across the face and splashed it with ice cold water. Just mind-numbingly ridiculous guitar shredding all set. His power trio lineup reminds me of the early rawer years of Gov't Mule and also at times of fellow New Orleans slinger Sonny Landreth's trio. 2011 started off as the year of Neil Young. Walri brought it in with Heart of Gold and Anders busted out a monster cover of Ohio. But the best tune of the night was Got Your Heart, have a listen.
Or download the whole set, courtesy of Scott Bernstein.

No comments: