02 April 2007

More festival talk


More Langerado
First, some more thoughts on Langerado. What? More about Langerado? Haven't you said enough? Guess not.
Just wanted to clarify that pervasive negativity aside, I thought the fest was a smashing success. Overall it was a great great time! I'm not a huge festival goer, so I don't have a ton to compare to, but it was run very well, the lineup was great, and the weather was perfect. Florida in March is a whole lot more comfortable than Austin in September and New Orleans in April. And it was as easy in/easy out as the Roscoe Diner, we didn't have any traffic problems all weekend. I'm just glad I wasn't camping out, the campgrounds looked horrid. Just a small fenced in area right off the parking lot with no shade! The tents were set up with practically no breathing room, just one on top of the other.

Newport Folk Fest
The next festival I'll be hitting is the Newport Folk Fest. It will be my 3rd visit in the last 4 years. It is a nice little festival on a beautiful piece of land right on the water. They always attract a few nice big acts, but there are always some great surprises sprinkled in, I have discovered some great music there, from Jim White to the Mammals.
The official lineup won't be announced until next month, but here are some early peeks via Pollstar: Emmylou Harris (she actually had to cancel last minute 2 years ago, but they somehow got Gillian Welch and David Rawlings to fill in which was not a bad replacement at all), Ralph Stanley (another classic guy I'd love to get the chance to see), Alejandro Escovedo, and the Dirty Dozen Brass Band (who would probably be better suited for the following week's Newport Jazz Fest). Also, some smaller acts, or at least people I have yet to discover: Carolina Chocolate Drops, Diana Jones, and Sierra Hull. Plus Sound Effects (Boston Globe music blog) is reporting that there will be big headliner news coming in the next few weeks. I'll be keeping my eye out for news and will keep you posted.

Beantown Shows Calendar
Something I'm trying out for the time being, is keeping a Boston music calendar going on the new Google calendar feature. The current week will be updated weekly on Sunday or Monday, and I will try to start filling in some other shows for the future, but that will be kind of spotty for the time being. Any suggestions or show tips would be greatly appreciated. There is a link to the right and also a way to subscribe to it, not sure what that does for you exactly, but its there if you need it.

No comments: